The Discovery at Mount Diablo


In the spring of 1879, Jarek Calhoun returned to the mine with a determination bordering on obsession. It was during one of his solitary shifts in an unstable drift deep that something wholly unusual occurred. Word soon circulated like wildfire of a development within the bereaved home. 

The following fragments offer the earliest glimpses of what the Calhouns would eventually come to call “Franklyn.” 

Excerpt from a private note by Jarek Calhoun, undated, believed to be from early May 1879: 

“(...) I found something in the new cut. Franklyn, but different. Sat there in the pocket of some strange ore I’ve never seen before. He looked at me. Moved when I spoke to him. Took my hand when I reached out. I took him home wrapped in my coat. Michelle lit up the moment she saw him. I reckon she needs this more than I do. (...)"


Only confirmed photograph of Jarek Calhoun, taken in May, 1871.


Letter from Michelle Calhoun to Sally Jobson, dated May 20, 1879

“Dearest Sally,

You have been so kind. I know we have kept to ourselves, but something wonderful has happened. Jarek brought someone home. It's Franklyn. He's here, I can see him, feel him, hear the sweet sounds he makes when he curls up against my chest.

I know it sounds mad, but once you see him, I am sure you will fall in love all over again. 

With gratitude,

Michelle”


Letter addressed from Jacob Rothstein to a cousin, Otto Wolfsheim, June 8, 1879

“(...) the Calhouns are different. Jarek brought something out of the mines. None of us have seen it, but, the way they talk about it, it’s almost like they’ve replaced their child. Folks are starting to talk. Michelle won’t hear a word. I stopped by yesterday. Thought I saw something through the crack in the door when Jarek answered. Damndest thing I ever saw. Made me sick to my stomach. They called it Franklyn. I’m not sure I can call it the same (...)” 


It wasn’t long before local press picked up on the story. 


Nevada State Journal, June 9, 1879

“(...) Mr. Carl Charles Carroll, local store operator, expresses skepticism. “I didn’t hear nothing about it glowing. Figured it was some kind of rodent he dragged out. People say it’s glowing? I’ll say they might’ve been hanging out in the dark for too long. (...)


Reno Evening Gazette, June 16, 1879

"(...) Perkins Prospects proprietor Mr. Matthew Perkins takes a firmer stance.

“While these claims of this creature are completely unsubstantiated, we do take the matter of stolen assets seriously (...) the company is investigating Mr. Calhoun as we speak.” (...)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Death of Franklyn Calhoun

The End of Greystone