The Miracles of Greystone

Something curious began to happen to Greystone that summer.

The camp experienced a series of small improvements. At the same time, the Calhoun family encouraged neighbors to “come and see Franklyn.” 


These “miracles” coincided with Franklyn's rapid growth and development. Those who returned from their visits with the Calhouns often did so feeling rejuvenated. Reports of violence and confrontation noticeably declined that summer.


From the Aug. 18, 1879 edition of the Nevada State Journal.


Letter from Michelle Calhoun to Sally Jobson, dated July 17, 1879

“My dear Sally,

You must come see Franklyn. He has grown so much already.

We know you must think it so strange. We promise, once you hold him, you will understand. Come to us when you can. We keep the door open, always.

With love,

Michelle”


Nevada State Journal, July 28, 1879

“Reports from Greystone continue to speak of unusual improvements in the camp. 

Some attribute the sudden growth of grass to ‘seasonal changes.’ A few among the rumor mill speculate it is the doing of the Calhouns, who reportedly took in a yet unidentified creature as a pet after the passing of their young son, Franklyn.

Details remain sparse.”


Improvements continued into the early weeks of fall. Neighbors spoke less of leaving. Others who lived on the outskirts of the settlement, such as Jacob Rothstein, grew increasingly uneasy over these miracles. 


Letter from Jacob Rothstein to Otto Wolfsheim, dated July 29, 1879

“Dear Cousin,

I hope you are well. 

Things have been queer of late. The Calhouns keep to themselves more than ever. They keep telling me to visit. I do not feel comfortable with this notion. 

I walked by last week out of worry. Jarek answered the door again, with a smile. He never smiles. Not once since he and Michelle landed here in Winter. Especially not after the accident. 

Now they appear rested. Glowing. Not literally. I'm confounded. Don't they needed more time for mourning?

This thing appears to have taken over every aspect of their lives. The creature is bigger, now. It moves more like a little one than a beast. The well tastes better. So much better. It’s so good that my eyes feel like they are beginning to crawl. I cannot explain it. 

Your friend and blood,

Jacob”


However skeptical some were, most seemed willing to accept the Calhoun’s unique brand of therapy. 


Brief note from William Bland (miner) to his brother, Caiden, undated but estimated as August 1879

“(...) and I went up to the Calhoun place, just like they asked. Franklyn is bigger. He reached for my hand when I sat down, like an old friend. Felt warm. When I left, I felt lighter. Haven’t had shit to deal with since. The boys are all quieter, they’re calmer. Maybe this is what we all needed after February. (...)” 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Death of Franklyn Calhoun

The Discovery at Mount Diablo

The End of Greystone